top of page

J-1 Visa Program

The J-1 Intern and J-1 Trainee programs are designed for university students and young professionals to train in the U.S. for up to 12 or 18 months, respectively, within their major field of study as a guided work-based learning program. The Intern/Trainee program provides on-the-job exposure to American techniques, methodologies, and expertise, and enhances the participant’s knowledge of American culture and society.

Young professionals participating in this program will be able to learn U.S. methodologies while also bringing an international perspective to the workplace.

What’s the difference between the J-1 Intern program and the J-1 Trainee program?

The J-1 Intern program is open to students currently enrolled in a post secondary academic institution outside of the U.S. or whom have recently graduated from a post secondary academic institution outside of the U.S. no more than 12 months prior to the desired internship start date. The J-1 Trainee program is for those who have already graduated and completed at least one year of work experience in their occupational field, or those who have already worked for at least 5 years in their occupational field.

Eligibility Requirements for the J-1 Intern Program

•  Must be a foreign national who is currently enrolled full-time and pursuing studies in your advanced chosen career field at a degree or certificate-granting post-secondary academic institution outside the United States or,

•  Graduated from such an institution no more than 12 months prior to your exchange visitor program begin date.

•  Must Possess sufficient proficiency in English to participate in your program.

Eligibility Requirements for the J-1 Trainee Program

•  Must be a foreign national who has either a degree or professional certificate from a foreign post-secondary academic institution and at least one year of prior related work experience in your occupational field acquired outside the United States or,

•  Five years of work experience in your occupational field acquired outside the United States.

•  Must Possess sufficient proficiency in English to participate in your program.

What type of internships or training programs are available in U.S?

Hospitality and Tourism:

Hospitality Administration/Management, Hospitality and Recreation Marketing Operations, Hotel/Motel Administration/Management, Tourism Promotion Operations, Tourism and Travel Services Management, Tourism and Travel Services Marketing Operations, etc.


Agriculture, Forestry, and Fishing:

Agribusiness/Agricultural Business Operations, Food Science, Applied Horticulture/Horticultural Operations, Food Science and Technology, Livestock Management, Soil Sciences


Information Media and Communications:

Advertising, Broadcast Journalism, Communications, Technologies/ Technicians and Support Services, Digital Communication and Media/Multimedia Programming, Mass Communications, Public Relations, Advertising and Applied Communication, Television/Radio/Print Journalism, Printing & Publishing, etc.


Management, Business, Commerce and Finance:

Accounting, Banking and Financial Support Services, Business Administration, Management/ Operations, Business, Marketing, Customer Service Management, E-Commerce/Electronic Commerce, Finance and Financial Management Services, Human Resources Management, International Business/ Trade/Commerce, Logistics and Materials Management, Information Systems, Operations, Sales, Distribution, and Marketing, Transportation/Transportation Management.


Arts and Culture:

Design and Applied Arts, Cinematography and Film/Video Production, Commercial Photography, Commercial and Advertising Art, Arts Management, Design and Visual Communications, Drama and Dramatics/Theatre Arts, General, Fashion/Apparel Design, Graphic Design, Illustration, Industrial Design, Interior Design, Music Management and Merchandising, Playwriting and Screenwriting, Printmaking, Sculpture, Theatre/Theatre Arts Management, Visual and Performing Arts, etc.


Public Administration and Law:

Public Relations, Public Policy, Business & Labor Law, Criminal Law, Civil Liberties, Human Rights Law, International Law, Environmental Law, etc.


The Sciences, Engineering, Architecture, Mathematics and Industrial Occupations:

Molecular Biology, Cell/Cellular Biology and Anatomical Sciences, Developmental Biology and Embryology, Environmental Biology, Toxicology, Marine Biology and Biological Oceanography, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Oncology and Cancer Biology, Wildlife, Zoology/Animal Biology, Civil /Computer /Environmental Engineering, Landscape / Urban Architecture, Mathematical Analysis, Applied Mathematics, Industrial Engineering, Industrial Relations, Computer Engineering Technologies, Electrical and Electronic Engineering Technologies, Robotics, Physical Sciences, Chemical Technologies, etc.


Construction and Building Trades:

Building/Construction Finishing, Management, and Inspection, Building/Construction Site Management/Manager, Building/Property Maintenance and Management, Construction Trades (Other), etc.


What is the program length?

Under the J-1 Intern program, you may train in the U.S. for up to 12 months. If you are participating in the J-1 Trainee program, you may train up to 18 months (those in the tourism and hospitality industry are limited to a 12 month internship).


Specifics Rules

Participants may not participate in:

            •  unskilled or casual labor positions.

            •  positions that involve child or elder care.

            •  positions that require providing therapy, clinical care, or patient care/patient contact.

            •  positions that involve more than 20 percent clerical work.

            •  positions that are counter service or fast food.


Can I apply for another internship or training program?

Yes, there is no limit on the number of times an individual can participate, as long as you meet the eligibility and residency requirements. However, there are conditions and restrictions. They are as follows:

•  In order for you to return on the internship program, your new training plan must show how the program will allow for development of more advanced skills or skills in a different field of expertise.

•  To return on the internship program, you must maintain student status or begin a new program within 12 months of graduation.

•  Past participants of an internship program who are no longer eligible may participate in a trainee program after 2 years of residency outside of the United States following their internship program.

•  Past participants of a trainee program my return after at least 2 years of residency outside of the United States following their initial program.



In the Terms and Conditions you signed, you agreed to budget enough currency with you to support yourself until you receive your first additional money to cover your 1st month’s rent, deposit and housing application fees.

Below are approximate estimates for certain costs in the U.S. for your budget considerations

It is your responsibility to research the average cost of the items below and other costs for the area in which you will be living. Prices for certain items (e.g., rent, telephone, etc.) vary by region in the United States.


Cost upon arrival to the U.S

•  Flight

•  Transportation to training/job site (average cost: $50-$60)

•  1st  month’s rent & housing deposit (average cost per month: $700-$1000, deposit equal to 1 month of rent)

Other housing costs

•  Utilities (average cost per month: $50)

•  Mobile telephone service (average cost per month: $50 for most basic mobile plan)

•  Cable TV (average cost per month: $50)


Living costs

•  Meals (average cost per meal: $4-$10)

•  Toiletries (average cost per month: $50)

•  Laundry (average cost per month: $20)

•  Transportation

  o Bus (average cost per ride: $1)

  o Taxi (average cost per ride: $2.50 + $.30 per ¼ mile + 10% gratuity)

•  Entertainment

  o Movies (average cost: $12)

  o Concerts (average cost: $30-$50)

To learn about the average cost of Restaurants, grocery stores/markets, transportation, utilities and sports and leisure offerings by a city and state, please visit:


U.S Cities Cost of Living Expenses

•  Ensure your safety, and bring at least $1,000.00 in cash, traveler checks or credit card.

•  Explore the cost of living expenses in your new city.

•  Check out

•  Learn about the average cost of Restaurants, grocery stores/markets, transportation, utilities and sports and leisure offerings by a city, state search in the United States


Where can I find more information?

To learn more about this program and its requirements, visit , or contact our team.

bottom of page